Wednesday, November 2, 2011

The Lion, The Care Bear, and The Spiderman!



Just a couple years ago, I blogged about Halloween with a pirate and a princess! Last year, while taking a hiatus from blogging, we enjoyed Halloween fun with Buzz Lightyear, some sweet fairy princesses, and an adorable ladybug (Jenny was home with her girls). This year, on the rainy Halloween night, the kids (yes, all 3: dressed as... you guessed it, a lion, a care bear, and Spiderman) and I went trick-or-treating with our sweet friends, the Jacksons! Their daughter, Madison, is in Josiah's class at school and the kids love playing with her and her younger sister, Ella (who is only a month younger than Geneva).


Side note... The Jackson family has really been there for me with Scott out of town for 2 weeks at Firearms Instructor School! Scott gets to learn about and shoot just about every type of gun, from handguns to fully automatic rifles, while I try to survive two weeks without being overrun by 3 children, despite the fact that Caleb doesn't like for me to sleep very long! Less than one week left and I get my wonderful husband back! Not quite sure how Mom did it with 4 of us all the time... And you did such an amazing job, Mom! :)

So back to Halloween...
Josiah summed it up: "It would have been more fun if it hadn't rained!" But the kids were adorable walking down the sidewalk single file each with their own umbrellas! It reminded me of what it must have been like for Jenny and I trick-or-treating in our water-proof Big Bird costumes in the rain in Canada when we were little! Madison lives up the street from another best friend of Josiah's from his class, Elijah, so we stopped to pick up him, his brother, and his mom. Other than us 3 moms and the 6 kids with umbrellas (and Caleb in my arms), no one else was out! I guess everyone else had the right idea, to stay in and dry! But the kids had fun and got some candy... And with fewer trick-or-treaters out, we had more candy leftover for us to enjoy (I guess that's the reason we buy candy we like!). Caleb did not really seem to care too much for Halloween and especially the costume! It took a lot for me to finally get a picture of him in his little lion costume when he wasn't crying!





 
Caleb is 8 weeks old now and very much making it known how much he is his own person and nothing like how his older siblings were as babies! He is getting better about the carseat just this week, whereas before he cried throughout entire cartrips almost everywhere we went. But he still prefers to be held (and lets us know pretty quickly), so I am learning to do quite a bit while wearing him, thanks to Jenny and her wonderful slings! They have made shopping, cooking, cleaning, and so many other things possible... including a field trip to the farm with Rachel (my first time ever going on a field trip as a parent, not a teacher!) where she got to pick out a "silly" pumpkin (the picture above), Halloween, and the JDRF Walk for Diabetes we participated in with the Jacksons on Saturday! It actually rained that day too so the Jacksons turned it into a "Jump for Diabetes" at Jumping Beans (inflatable funhouse) instead! The Jacksons have helped me get more involved with JDRF last year (Madison has Type 1 diabetes like Scott and was in my kindergarten class last year), but this year Josiah felt more involved as he said he wanted to walk for his daddy too (as well as for his friend, Madison)! It's such a joy to see my children taking ownership in such an important cause! Another joy we have experienced recently is Rachel joining Josiah in learning Bible verses each week for Awanas at our church, and also having deeper conversations with us about his understanding of his faith in Jesus. I am so blessed to have children who love God and desire to know Him more, and to have a husband who helps me guide our children deeper in their faith!



No comments: