Monday, October 10, 2011

Now We Are Six

This title has a few meanings behind it... It comes from one of my beloved authors (A. A. Milne - Winnie the Pooh); This is the year our oldest son turned 6 (the age that A. A. Milne's poem was about); And our family has now grown to one more, making us a family of 6 (according to Josiah who always makes sure to include our dog, Bailey... And sometimes he remembers to include the hamster, Little Jessie). It has definitely been a big year for the Flowers family and we have all grown in so many ways! Since it's been over a year since the last time I've blogged, I'll start with some stories that go with some pictures from the year!

Josiah and I had our ups and downs of going to school together and being next door to each other in Kindergarten, but overall we both really enjoyed our time together! Josiah especially loved playing in my classroom after school and I especially loved getting to ride on the bus with him on field trips! Even though I couldn't chaperone for his class because I had to chaperone my own, we still got to ride together on the bus! Josiah is now in first grade and down the hall farther from me. He has definitely grown up more and doesn't even want me to give him kisses anymore when he leaves my room, but I still love seeing his arms outstretched to give me a hug when we pass in the hallway at school! I can't believe he's 6 already! We celebrated Josiah's birthday with another favorite character: Buzz Lightyear and the Toy Story theme. We had a birthday first - a piñata (a horse representing Woody's horse Bullseye from the movie)! Josiah had picked it out and was all excited... Until it was too hard to break. He decided he didn't want to have a piñata ever again! Josiah may forget things easily, but he doesn't quickly forget decisions like these! He still reminds us of his piñata decision!

This was the second year ever going strawberry picking, which Rachel adored (picking and eating)! But it was a big summer of firsts! We took the kids to their first baseball game... A huge thing for me, as I have so many fond memories of family trips to see major league baseball games! We saw the Carolina Mudcats and the Durham Bulls! We also took the kids bowling for the first time, which they also really enjoyed! Josiah went on his first father/son camping trip where Scott took him fishing. Rachel was pretty jealous (as was I!); even though she loves being the princess (and went to her first daddy/daughter dance earlier this year), she still likes to get out and rough it with the boys! So we had our own special girls' weekend while the boys camped! Rachel took a gymnastics class this summer, showing off her fearlessness there as well as at the pool and ocean (she loved the waves!); while Josiah finally seemed to overcome some of fears of the water and really took to swimming! The kids also got to meet their first boy cousin on the Beahm side of the family... Josiah was thrilled! More boys! And one more still to come!!!

With the Fall, came more firsts: Josiah starting to play soccer, the addition of a hamster, and Rachel's first haircut (yes, she made the first cut, so she got to go to a real hair dresser for the rest to get trimmed). Rachel also turned 4, which we celebrated with her favorite character, Princess Tiana from Disney's Princess and the Frog!

Of course our biggest family news the year has been the birth of our youngest son, Caleb James, who is now 1 month old! It is amazing how such a tiny little boy can turn our world upside down (but in so many good ways). We all absolutely adore Caleb and the older 2 have proven to be the best older brother and sister ever! I am amazed, thankful, and blessed daily to see how much love Josiah and Rachel show to their younger brother! God has truly blessed us so far this year and helped us to grow in so many ways as a family and individually! Hopefully the next blog will be sooner, rather than later, and can be more about Caleb and the intricacies of having this family of 5 (or 6 or 7, depending on who you're asking and how the pets are valued as family members!)!

P. S. I wrote this blog and added pictures completely from my iPhone, since I have a lot less time where I can sit in front of the computer. I did need to make a few picture formatting changes from my laptop, but I just have to say... I love my iPhone!


Now We Are Six
By A.A. Milne

When I was one,
I had just begun.
When I was two,
I was nearly new.
When I was three,
I was hardly me.
When I was four,
I was not much more.
When I was five,
I was just alive.
But now I am six,
I'm as clever as clever.
So I think I'll be six
now and forever.

 
 
 





No comments: